CLP Explained?

CLP - Or Classification, labelling and packaging regulation. This a EU regulation which came into affect on the 1st of June 2015.

CLP applies to non-cosmetic product that contain hazardous substances such as fragrance oils or essential oils. 

Scented candles, wax melts, mikado reed diffusers, room sprays ect would need a CLP

Where do I find the information needed for the CLP Label? 

You can find this information on the SDS sheet, generally for wax melts and candles you would use a percentage of 10% or under so you would use the SDS sheet named 10% 

If you are using above this then you would use the SDS sheet titled SDS 25% 

You can find these sheets on our website on the listing for the fragrance oil that you plan to use. 

The section you are looking for is section 2.2 on the SDS sheet , here you will find all of the labelling information that you will need 

  • Product Identifiers
  • Warning or Hazard Pictograms
  • Warning Statements
  • Allergen Information
  • Signal Words
  • UFI Code 
  • Precautionary Statements
  • Supplier Information (your business name, address and contact details)

Is there ever a time when I would not need a CLP? 

Well yes, we work out our SDS sheets at 10%, 25% and 100% so all of our fragrances need a CLP however that does not mean that if you use 5% it might not need a CLP, to find out that you would need to have your own calculation of a SDS sheet done.

Can i mix 2 or more scents together and how does that affect the CLP?

Yes you can blend scents together but that would then mean you would need to have your own SDS sheet made up and your own CLP calculated at a cost to yourself. 

Where can I have that done? 

Sarah at CLP services for candle makers offers our customer preferential rates on the calculation of new SDS sheets and CLP's. This is a link to her website -